Interrogator: Of Course You Will Not Be Admitted to University, Because You are Baha’is



Translation by Iran Press Watch

Bahai instructor
The Institute was damaged on May 22, 2011, but was never destroyed, and continues in its path, which is to teach university courses to youth deprived of higher education

On May 22, 2011, in a coordinated and simultaneous operation, agents of the Ministry of Intelligence raided the homes of 39 Baha’i citizens connected with the Baha’i Institute for Higher Education (BIHE) in Tehran, Shiraz, Isfahan, Zahedan, Sari and Karaj. They confiscated and took away all documents, handouts, textbooks and computers belonging to these citizens.

The Baha’i Institute for Higher Education (BIHE) was established in 1987 by the Baha’is of Iran, following seven years of deprivation of higher education for followers of this religion. In the beginning, all instructors and students of this institute were Baha’is, but after a few years, as its graduates continued their studies to master’s and doctorate levels at various universities around the world, the institute attracted the attention of academic circles and universities abroad, and a number of non-Iranian professors joined its academic faculty.

During the widespread operations of the Ministry of Intelligence in May 2011, 15 Baha’i instructors and students were arrested and four sites where classes were held in residences were sealed.

The purpose of the operations were to shut down this Institute and prevent Baha’i youth from pursuing their studies. Tolou Golkar is one of the 39 Baha’i citizens whose residence was raided on May 22, 2011 by agents of the Ministry of Intelligence.

She was sentenced to 5 years in prison for studying and teaching at the BIHE. Tolou is currently a doctoral candidate in biochemistry at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and also teaches there as an associate professor.

Of that day she says: “At around 8:30 in the morning on May 22, the security agents entered our house, presenting a warrant for Tolou Golkar. I was at work. The agents asked my parents to contact me to return home, which they refused. They then started searching all rooms and confiscated all handouts, textbooks, computer and my personal effects, and even my parents’ personal belongings.”

Two days later, Tolou was summoned: “I was summoned by telephone to appear for interrogation at the office of the Ministry of Intelligence at Vali Asr Intersection. There, I realized that I had been charged with teaching at the BIHE. The interrogation was brief, and besides me, a large number of Baha’i instructors and students were also interrogated in different rooms on the same day.

The second interrogation took place two months later at the same location: “This interrogation took five hours, and from the start, the interrogators threatened me that if I didn’t stop teaching at the Institute, there would be consequences, such as imprisonment. The entire discussion at this interrogation centered on the fact that the interrogator considered the BIHE and teaching there to be illegal. I responded by saying that because Baha’i youth are not admitted to universities, this institute is a place for Baha’is to pursue higher education. But the interrogator insisted that no Baha’i has been banned from attending university unless they had done something wrong. At the end of the interrogation, one individual, who I believe was their supervisor, suddenly entered the room and after collecting all the paperwork from the interrogation, faced me and said: “Of course you will not be admitted to university, because you are Baha’is.” He said: “Baha’is are not even entitled to live in Iran, period!”

On February 19, 2013, Tolou Golkar and nine other instructors at BIHE were summoned to the Shahid Moghaddas court in Evin. The interrogator there asked her to sign a pledge not to cooperate – as a teacher – with the Institute, which she refused. The interrogator issued Tolou’s arrest decree, but after two or three hours she was freed on 500 million Rials bail.

In September 2013, branch 28 of Tehran’s Islamic Revolutionary Court, presided over by Judge Moghisseh, tried her for illegal activity (teaching) at the Institute and, based on article 499 of the Iranian Islamic Penal Code, sentenced her to five years in prison. The original sentence was upheld in the appellate court, and communicated to Tolou Golkar’s attorney in February 2014.

Tolou says: “After I was denied admission to university because of my religious beliefs, I studied biology at BIHE and received a Bachelor’s degree equivalent. In 2008 I went to England, and after one year, returned to Iran with a Master’s degree. In Tehran, while teaching at BIHE, I also worked in a medical diagnostic laboratory, until I heard that on April 28, Nasim Bagheri, one of the Institute’s instructors, whose prison sentence had been issued at the same time as mine, had been arrested without a summons and sent to Evin Prison to serve her sentence. After hearing this news, I went to Turkey, and after a few months there, I was able to obtain admission to McGill University, and came to Montreal to pursue my education. Currently I am a doctoral candidate in Biochemistry at McGill University, and hope to receive my doctoral degree in a few months.”

Tolou Golkar believes the sudden raid by the agents and the arrests in May 2011 was a great shock to BIHE, but it was not able to even briefly interrupt the academic activities of this Institute.

She says that immediately after the arrest of the administrators and some of the instructors, youth who had mostly graduated from the Institute took the place of those arrested and continued to teach. “Even though these individuals were all new at this and inexperienced, they did not allow any of the lectures to stop. On the other hand, the Institute was strengthened and its online side thrived. Due to the risk of arrest and raids of the homes where classes were held, online courses took the place of face-to-face lectures.”

She says after nearly two years, the Institute again reached its original pre-May 2011 level of capacity: “The Institute was damaged on May 22, 2011, but was never destroyed, and continues in its path, which is to teach university courses to youth deprived of higher education.”


2 Responses

  1. Mary Denise Webster

    July 3, 2018 11:13 pm

    I heard and read about the Baha‘is Being persecuted in Iran when I was a teenager and now that I am a older Senior nothing has changed and I will pray for the Baha‘is and for my dear departed.

  2. editor

    August 17, 2018 1:42 am

    A friend translated the piece into French which you can find below.

    Parce que vous êtes baha’i, vous ne serez jamais admise à l’université.

    Le 22 mai 2011, en une opération coordonnée et simultanée, des agents du ministère du Renseignement iranien perquisitionnèrent les maisons de 39 citoyens baha’is liés à l’Institut Baha’i pour l’Enseignement Supérieur (BIHE) à Téhéran, Chiraz, Ispahan, Zahedan, Sari et Karaj. Ils confisquèrent tous les dossiers, documents, manuels et ordinateurs appartenant à ces citoyens.

    L’Institut Baha’i pour l’Enseignement Supérieur (BIHE) a été créé en 1987 par les baha’is d’Iran, après sept années de privation de l’enseignement supérieur pour les disciples de cette religion. Au début, tous les instructeurs et étudiants de cet institut étaient bahá’ís, mais après quelques années, alors que ses diplômés poursuivaient leurs études de maîtrise et de doctorat dans diverses universités du monde, l’institut a attiré l’attention des cercles académiques et des universités. à l’étranger, et un certain nombre de professeurs non iraniens ont rejoint sa faculté académique.

    Au cours des opérations systématiques du ministère du Renseignement de mai 2011, 15 instructeurs et étudiants bahá’ís furent arrêtés et quatre sites où des classes avaient lieu dans des résidences furent scellés.

    Le but de ces opérations était de fermer cet institut et d’empêcher les jeunes bahá’ís de poursuivre leurs études. Tolou Golkar est l’une des 39 citoyens baha’is dont la résidence a été perquisitionnée le 22 mai 2011 par des agents du ministère du Renseignement.

    Elle a été condamnée à 5 ans de prison pour avoir étudié et enseigné au BIHE. Elle est actuellement candidate au doctorat en biochimie à l’Université McGill à Montréal, Québec, Canada, et y enseigne aussi comme professeur agrégé.

    De ce jour elle dit : « Vers 8 h 30 du matin le 22 mai, les agents de sécurité sont entrés dans notre maison, présentant un mandat d’arrêt au nom de Tolou Golkar. J’étais au travail. Les agents ont demandé à mes parents de me contacter pour que je rentre chez eux, ce qu’ils ont refusé. Ils ont ensuite commencé à fouiller toutes les pièces et à confisquer tous les documents, les manuels, l’ordinateur et mes effets personnels, et même les effets personnels de mes parents. »

    Deux jours plus tard, Tolou a été convoqué : « J’ai été convoqué par téléphone pour comparaître pour interrogatoire au bureau du ministère du Renseignement, section Vali Asr. Là, j’ai compris qu’on m’accusait d’enseigner au BIHE. L’interrogatoire fut bref, et à part moi, un grand nombre d’instructeurs et d’étudiants baha’is furent également interrogés le même jour dans d’autres pièces.

    Le deuxième interrogatoire eut lieu deux mois plus tard au même endroit : « Cet interrogatoire dura cinq heures et dès le début, les interrogateurs me menacèrent. Si je n’arrêtais pas d’enseigner à l’Institut, cela aurait des conséquences pouvant aller jusqu’à l’emprisonnement. Cet interrogatoire tournait autour du fait que l’interrogateur considérait le BIHE et l’enseignement qu’on y donnait comme. Je répondis que les jeunes bahá’ís n’étant pas admis dans les universités, cet institut était un lieu où les baha’is pouvaient poursuivre des études supérieures. Mais l’interrogateur prétendit qu’aucun baha’i n’était interdit d’aller à l’université à moins d’avoir fait quelque chose de mal. À la fin de l’interrogatoire, un individu, qui était, je crois, leur superviseur, est soudainement entré dans la pièce et après avoir rassemblé tous les documents de l’interrogatoire, m’a fait face et m’a dit : « Évidemment, parce que vous êtes baha’is, vous ne serez pas admis à l’université. Il a ajouté : Les baha’is n’ont même pas le droit de vivre en Iran, point final ! »

    Le 19 février 2013, Tolou Golkar et neuf autres instructeurs du BIHE furent convoqués au tribunal Shahid Moghaddas à Evin. L’interrogateur lui demanda de signer une promesse de ne pas coopérer – en tant que professeur – avec l’Institut, ce qu’elle refusa. L’interrogateur rédigea alors le décret d’arrestation de Tolou, mais après deux ou trois heures, elle fut libérée sous une caution de 500 millions de rials.

    En septembre 2013, la branche 28 du Tribunal révolutionnaire islamique de Téhéran, présidée par le juge Moghisseh, la jugea coupable d’activité illégale (enseignement) à l’Institut et, sur la base de l’article 499 du Code pénal islamique iranien, la condamna à cinq ans de prison. La sentence initiale fut confirmée devant la cour d’appel et communiquée à l’avocat de Tolou Golkar en février 2014.

    « Après avoir été refusée l’admission à l’université, en raison de mes croyances religieuses, dit Tolou, j’avais étudié la biologie au BIHE et obtenu ma licence. En 2008, j’étais allé en Angleterre, et un an plus tard, j’étais revenue en Iran avec une maîtrise. À Téhéran, alors que j’enseignais au BIHE, j’ai également travaillé dans un laboratoire de diagnostic médical, jusqu’à ce que j’apprenne que le 28 avril, Nasim Bagheri, l’un des instructeurs de l’Institut, qui avait été condamné en même temps que moi, avait été arrêté sans préavis et conduit à la prison d’Evin pour purger sa peine. À la suite de cette nouvelle, je suis partie en Turquie et, admise à l’Université McGill après quelques mois, je suis venue à Montréal pour y poursuivre mes études. Je suis actuellement doctorante en biochimie à l’Université McGill et j’espère obtenir mon doctorat dans quelques mois. »

    Tolou Golkar estime que le raid brutal des agents et les arrestations de mai 2011 furent un grand choc pour le BIHE, mais les activités académiques de l’institut ne s’interrompirent jamais, même brièvement. Immédiatement après l’arrestation des administrateurs et de quelques enseignants, des jeunes qui avaient pour la plupart obtenu leur diplôme à l’Institut, prirent la place des personnes arrêtées et continuèrent à enseigner. « Bien que ces personnes aient toutes été nouvelles et inexpérimentées, elles ne permirent à aucun des cours de s’arrêter. D’autre part, l’Institut fut renforcé et les cours en ligne prospérèrent. En raison du risque d’arrestation et de raids dans les maisons où les cours étaient dispensés, les cours en ligne ont remplacé les cours magistraux. » Tolou affirme qu’après presque deux ans, l’Institut a de nouveau atteint son niveau initial de capacité d’avant mai 2011 : « L’Institut a été endommagé le 22 mai 2011, mais n’a jamais été détruit, et il continue dans sa voie, qui est d’enseigner des cours universitaires aux jeunes privés d’enseignement supérieur. »


Leave a Reply